Wednesday, February 3, 2010

ALT Lesson Plans with Eigo Note, 5th grade. Lesson 3 How Many?

For "how many" lesson, I had the pupils recap on counting and numbers for the first two lessons, then did a more specific "how many" lesson for the third part and then did a totally random body parts lesson for part 4.

Well I guess the guys at MEXT who produced Eigo Note also realised that having 4 x 45 min lessons to teach "How many?" was a bit of a stretch so stuck the Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes song and game in there. Well it suited me fine as I think the kids were over counting by the time we got to part 3 and they loved the doctor doctor game using homemade plasters instead of loo roll. (thanks Richard at Genki English' website)

I must admit I hardly used Eigo Note for this lesson. The Lets Sing 10 steps is a tad too easy for 5th graders, I'm teaching it to my 1st graders and even they find it easy but 20 steps was much better (if a bit fast). I did do the Lets Listen exercise once, counting to 10 in different languages which doesn't have much to do with How Many but they found it interesting and laughed at some of the different pronunciations.

For how many, I decided that it'd be fun to steal a few Where's Wally pictures and have the pupil work in pairs and count how many items were in the picture (like how many towels? how many animals do you see?) It actually worked really well. I mean who doesn't like Wheres Wally?!

I also had them play the timebomb game. They absolutely love this and its a perfect game for counting 1-10 or even 1-20. We also had fun with a lottery game I invented and a secret code game. Anyway, I'll stop gassing, all the games are in the lesson plans below. Have fun!

Download lesson plans for Eigo Note lesson 3 below.


Grade 5 Lesson Eigo Note Lesson 3- (5.8) How many? part 1

Grade 5 Lesson Eigo Note Lesson 3- (5.9)- How many? part 2

Grade 5 Lesson Eigo Note Lesson 3- (5.10)- How many? part 3 *

Grade 5 Lesson Eigo Note Lesson 3- (5.11)- How many? part 4



*I copied some Wheres Wally pictures from the internet for this lesson, see worksheet here

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment